If you’re looking for the Sew Mama Sew giveaway post, it’s below this one. But hurry, entries are closing soon!
Okay, gotta start out by saying Melvin isn’t REALLY my soon to be born nephew’s name. I only came up with that as a mash-up between his parents’ names.. Melissa and Devin. Melissa is one of two of my sister in laws, and she and her husband are expecting their third boy.. so there’s the quandary.. naming a third boy. I guess for some people it’s easier to pick names; but for them it’s been really difficult.
Anyways, since I’m making them a quilt I’ve decided to blog about it. First reason is to have something to blog about, but the second reason is to sign up for the process pledge, and this will be my debut process pledge project if you will.
Sooo, what is the process pledge? As r0ssie puts it on her blog..
The goal of the process pledge is to create a new sensibility in quilting blogs where we don’t just show finishes or occasionally confess about our moments of indecision, but chat openly and often about our works in progress, our inspirations, and our moments of decision. I know that many of us are already posting about our thinking on quilts and the processes involved from start to finish, let’s do more! And let’s post about quilts as we work on them. I want to see more half-done quilts, not just the finished thing with a journal entry about the process.
I think this is perfectly sensible and perfectly acceptable. So without further ado, here’s my pledge for all to see in the blogosphere.
I, Amber of Wamber’s Whimsies, pledge to talk more about my processes, even when I can’t quite put them in the in words or be sure I’m being totally clear. I’m going to put my thinking and my gut feelings out there.
Ok, onto the first part of the pledge. The first thing I did was I picked the fabrics. I really love Laurie Wisbrun’s work. She’s awesomely cool because she was an orginial designer on Spoonflower, and somehow got the attention of the bigwigs of I think Robert Kaufmann and got her fabric printed by them! How awesome is that? Anyway, her latest line, “Pooches and Pickup” is super fun and really perfect for boys. And of course me being me I had to have it. Unfortunately, I’m not married to Daddy Warbucks, so I can’t always ask him if I can buy fabric just to horde. So, I figured I would make a quilt for my nephew as an excuse to buy this fabric. I had offered to make the baby a quilt before they found out the gender, and so I’m sort of secretly glad they are having a boy. If they were having a girl I probably would have tried talking him into letting me buy some Liberty of London fabric. Crazy, I know. But my sister in law is pretty awesome, and worth every dollar for Liberty of London fabric!
At that point, I thought, well there’s only 6 prints in the line, and I can’t really make a quilt out of 6 fat quarters. So, I remember dimly seeing two quilts in my blog reader that used these fabrics. The first place I remember seeing it was on Red Pepper Quilts. The second place I remember seeing it was on Oh, Fransson. I remembered that they had both picked some solids, so I went and looked at their respective posts, and then wrote down the solids they both used. I then grabbed my Kona Cotton color card, and then narrowed down the colors a bit. They had some colors in common, however I decided to narrow down the colors if they had picked two different shades of the same color. For example, Rita at Red Pepper picked Fern, while Elizabeth at Oh, Fransson picked Jungle. I went with Jungle in this case, because I liked the shade of green slightly better than Fern.
After purchasing the Fat Quarters online and deciding what solids to use, I went ahead and pulled out my Kona Charm Squares to make sure they all went together. Yeah, I’ve got my color card that has all of the Kona colors in 1″ squares, but I really wanted to see them next to each other. After I picked my solids and then when I got Pooches and Pickups in the mail, I went ahead and took a picture of my charm squares with the fabrics.
I decided for the ultimate quilt design, I wanted a dark color for contrast, and also a light color for sashing between the blocks. I’ve got a notebook that I use to write my sewing projects and ideas in, and here’s a glimpse of the page:
I went through about 4 or 5 ideas until I finally settled on this one. I’ve got the layout in my head; however to keep it sort of a surprise, I’ve gone ahead and not shown the acutal layout; that’s for later! BTW, in case you were wondering, the colors that are check-marked are colors I was able to pick up locally. I checked three different shops, and was only able to find four of them. At that point, it was just going to be cheaper for me to go online and order off of a website. Shipping ended up costing less money than if we had gone to another store in the off chance they had the remaining colors.
Well, that’s all for now. I haven’t cut into my fabrics or anything yet but as soon as I’m done with this post, I plan on replacing the blade in my rotary cutter and getting to work!